2018 Mid-Year Update
HALL OF FAME INDUCTION
- Public nominations are open year round with a March 30 cutoff.
- 61 nominations were made.
- Class of 2018 chosen.
- 2018 Induction to be held at Lauderdale Yacht Club, November 10 - 11.
- 2019 Induction to be held at Seattle Yacht Club.
- 2020 Induction to be held at Eastern Yacht Club.
STEM SAILING: LEARNING MATH & SCIENCE THROUGH SAILING
- Navigation and Science of Sailing curricula have been posted for free use by educators across the country.
- Teacher Academy, teaching math and science teachers how to sail to be held in August.
- 220 9th &10th grade students from Anne Arundel County Public Schools (AACPS) Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) participated in seven-week NSHOF Project Based Learning (PBL) Module sessions, for which they receive academic credit.
- 106 organizations in the STEM Sailing National Consortium.
- Sixth Annual Marine and Maritime Career Fair for students, grades 7-12 was held at Annapolis High School. Co-sponsored by Anne Arundel County Public Schools and Eastport Yacht Club Foundation.
ON SITE PROGRAMMING
Free public display at the Sailing Center of boats including among others:
- Adventurer, Cherubini 56’
- Bull & Bear, Replica Sandbaggers, 56’
- Jolly Dolphin, Workboat 63’
- Myrtea, Bermuda 30’
- PE Pruitt, Chesapeake Bay Buyboat 60’
- Sails Call, Beneteau 47’
- Sultana, Replica Topsail Schooner 97’
Bull & Bear Sailing
- Bull and Bear have hosted over 80 people for sailing, most of whom have never sailed before.
Recovering Warrior Sailing Squadron
- Annapolis Spring Regatta, co-sponsored with United States Naval Academy, Chesapeake Region Accessible Boating, Connected Warrior Foundation, and Warrior Events, was held on April 28.
Outreach Program to African American Community
- Sails throughout the summer are being held with members of the community.
United States Sailboat Show
- In cooperation with the United States Sailboat Show, American Sailing Association and Beneteau USA, 200 people participated in a First Sail Workshop at the Spring Boat Show.
Tom Morris Library
- Annapolis Reading Room open to the public.
- There are now 3,500 items in the collection.
- Partnership with Sailors for the Sea Clean Regatta certified.
- In cooperation with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, distribution of information regarding Saving the Bay has been set up at the NSHOF Sailing Center.
- A growing online collection of over 170 sailing films and videos between two minutes and two hours, many of which are unavailable anywhere else, with more videos going online.
- Sailors and Stories: U.S. Olympic Sailing Medalists, U.S. Paralympic Medalists, Rolex Yachtsman of the Year and Rolex Yachtswoman of the Year Recipients, Nathanael G. Herreshoff Trophy Winners and Adams Cup.
- Sailing in American Literature: Collection of sailing quotes from American writers such as Thoreau, Emerson, Twain, Barth, etc.
- Photographic Exhibitions: Virtual exhibition of the photographs of Daniel Forester, Onne van der Wal and Billy Black posted.
- Sailing in American Art: Virtual exhibition of sailing paintings from the National Gallery of Art. Curated by Elizabeth Grazioli and Wil Scott.
- Sailing in American Music: Virtual streaming of sailing in American music, curated by David Hildebrand, PhD.
Gowrie Group Yacht Club and Adams Cup Stories Project
- Collecting and enhancing yacht club and sailing association profiles from across the country.
- Collecting Adams Cup stories.
Tom Morris Library and Book Reviews
- Walter Cronkite’s sailing library collection.
- Additional collections have been received.
- STEM Sailing: Learning Math & Science through Sailing programs and reports.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing National Consortium network and newsletters.
- Learning Math & Science through Sailing STEM 9th and 10th grade curricular template in use by schools around the country.
American Women in Sailing Story Project
- Online exhibits as part of the American Women in Sailing Story Project: “America3: The Women’s Team,” “The Salty Sisters,” Mary Patten, Adams Cup and WIMRA.
Online Contributions and Sales
- Founding Members.
- Annual Giving.
- Building Capital.
- Morris Library.
- Planned Giving.
- Channel - SailingHallofFame - features 105+ videos with over 3,337 views totaling over 418 hours watched this year.
- Facebook page - active “like” participation by nearly 4,000 fans.
- @sailinghall - 533 followers, a 5% increase, receiving over 20,000 impressions this year.
- _sailinghalloffame_ - 516 followers; a 121% increase from last year.
YACHT CLUBS and CLASS ASSOCIATIONS
- Annapolis Yacht Club Memorial Day.
- Distributed 1,300 copies of Hall of Famer Jim Kilroy book Kialoa US 1: Dare to Win to junior sailing programs across the country for instructional and fundraising purposes.
Because of generous donations to our Annual Giving Campaign, these activities have been made possible.
Your gift supports our Hall of Fame Inductions, our STEM Sailing: Learning Math & Science Through Sailing educational programs, our online Sailing in the American Experience exhibits, and our On-Site Programs, including the Recovering Warrior Sailing Squadron events, Visiting Boats, and the BULL & BEAR free sail program.
We believe what you see on the water will change the way you see life on land.
We believe people who don’t sail are missing something.
We believe we can change than that.